Image Source: 京劇一百人物像 冊 絹本, The Met Open Access Collection (Rogers Fund, 1930)
Call for Proposals
Association for Asian Performance 22nd Annual Conference
Wednesday, July 27, 2022 | In-Person Conference
Deadline: April 8, 2022
The Association for Asian Performance (AAP) invites submissions for its 22nd annual conference. The AAP conference is a one-day event, to be held at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, Michigan preceding the annual Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) conference. Proposals are invited for papers, panels, workshops, roundtable discussions, and other formats. Learn more about the AAP at https://www.asian-performance.org/.
Proposals for the following formats are welcome:
· Individual Papers on topics related to Asian performance. Proposals for individual papers should include an abstract (max 250 words). Individual presentations should be limited to 20 minutes so that there will be time left for questions and discussion. Visual materials (slides, video, etc.) are strongly encouraged.
· Panels composed of three paper presenters and one discussant or four paper presenters. Proposals for panels should provide a brief statement (250 words) that explains the session as a whole, a list of titles and a 50-word abstract for each paper, and biography of the discussant (if applicable).
· Roundtables offer an opportunity for participants to discuss specific themes, issues or significant recent publications. A maximum of six active participants is recommended. While a roundtable proposal need not be as detailed as a panel proposal, it should explain fully the session’s purpose, themes, or issues and scope (250 words), as well as provide a list of committed participants.
· Workshops by performance practitioner(s) with expertise in specific Asian performance traditions are welcomed, particularly workshops that overlap with a panel theme or paper presentation. Workshop proposals should include an abstract (350 words) describing the workshop and any technical or space considerations. Workshops should be designed to run no longer than 80 minutes.
· We also encourage suggestions for innovative alternatives to the session formats described above! Please contact the conference organizer directly if you have an idea for an innovative session.
Calling all Graduate Students!
AAP warmly encourages participation from graduate students. The conference provides a number of dedicated events, such as a mentoring session and time for social gatherings with fellow graduate students, that make AAP an especially welcoming and enriching experience. If you are interested in learning more, please contact one of our Graduate Student Representatives: Minwoo (Minu) Park (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Chee-Han Wu (email@example.com).
All proposals should include the following:
· Title of panel, roundtable, workshop, or paper.
· Names of all presenters, including chair and/or organizer and discussant (for panels and roundtables), and a few biographical sentences about each presenter.
· Affiliation, specialization (field/region), mailing address, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of all participants.
· Explanation of the session (for panels, workshops, and roundtables); abstract for each panel presentation or each paper.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ALL PROPOSALS IS APRIL 8, 2022.
All presenters are expected to join AAP. To learn more about the benefits of becoming an AAP member, please visit our website at https://www.asian-performance.org/ and consider joining
us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aaponline/.