Association for Asian Performance 21st Annual Conference
August 2-4, 2021 | Online Conference
This year, the Association for Asian Performance (AAP) Conference will be online via Zoom. AAP invites submissions for its 21st Annual Conference. Proposals are invited for papers, panels, workshops, roundtable discussions, and other formats. Learn more about the AAP at https://www.asian-performance.org/.
The deadline for proposals is March 25, 2021.
· Individual Papers on topics related to Asian performance. Proposals for individual papers should include an abstract (max 250 words). Individual presentations should be limited to 20 minutes so that there will be time left for questions and discussion. Visual materials (slides, video, etc.) are strongly encouraged.
· Panels composed of three paper presenters and one discussant or four paper presenters. Proposals for panels should provide a brief statement (250 words) that explains the session as a whole, a list of titles and a 50-word abstract for each paper, and biography of the discussant (if applicable). Each presentation within the panel should be limited to 15-20 minutes so that there will be time left for questions and discussion.
· Roundtables offer an opportunity for participants to discuss specific themes, issues or significant recent publications. A maximum of six active participants is recommended. While a roundtable proposal need not be as detailed as a panel proposal, it should explain fully the session’s purpose, themes, or issues and scope (250 words), as well as provide a list of committed participants. Roundtables typically last 75 minutes.
· Workshops by performance practitioner(s) with expertise in specific Asian performance traditions are welcomed, particularly workshops that overlap with a panel theme or paper presentation. Workshop proposals should include an abstract (350 words) describing the workshop and any technical or space considerations. Workshops should be designed to run no longer than 80 minutes.
· Poster sessions provide an opportunity to share developing, new, or unique research projects that would be enhanced by an interactive format. Submit a brief abstract (250 words) for a short, multimedia-enhanced presentation. The AAP will do its best to pair specialists in your subject area to act as respondents. Past presenters at the poster sessions have included both junior and senior scholars. Please specify the length of your presentation in your proposal.
· We also encourage suggestions for innovative alternatives to the session formats described above! Please contact the conference organizer directly if you have an idea for an innovative session.
Calling all Graduate Students!
AAP warmly encourages participation from graduate students. The conference provides a number of dedicated events, such as a mentoring session and time for social gatherings with fellow graduate students, that make AAP an especially welcoming and enriching experience. If you are interested in learning more, please contact one of our Graduate Student Representatives: Jashodhara Sen (email@example.com) and Chee-Han Wu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All proposals should include the following:
· Title of panel, roundtable, workshop, poster, or paper.
· Names of all presenters, including chair and/or organizer and discussant (for panels and roundtables), and a few biographical sentences about each presenter.
· Affiliation, specialization (field/region), phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and time zones of all participants.
· Explanation of the session (for panels, workshops, and roundtables); abstract for each panel presentation or each paper.
All presenters are expected to join AAP. To learn more about the benefits of becoming an AAP member, please visit our website at https://www.asian-performance.org/ and consider joining us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aaponline/.
Those of you who have submitted their papers to the Emerging Scholars Panel should not submit the same paper to the main conference.
Please feel free to e-mail to the conference organizer and AAP Vice-President, Casey Avaunt (email@example.com) with any questions or ideas.
Please submit proposals here
or by using the following link: https://forms.gle/4j8rhhuQjir4pWM58.